Country Thoughts

May 26, 2015

(My parents' barn)
As you all know, I grew up in a small town. My parents still live on the farm they raised us kids on and every time I go home I feel relaxed and nostalgic. I used to think that once I left my hometown I would never move back, only visit. I currently only live 1.5 hours away in the nearest city (St. Louis), so when I get the country itch I'm just a short drive away. Every time I come back to St. Louis after a visit home it just makes me miss the country lifestyle and my family.

As I grow older, the idea of moving back to my hometown becomes more and more appealing to me. It doesn't suit the current stage of my life but I imagine as I raise a family I will move very close to my hometown,  if not all the way back. Two of my college friends are with guys from my hometown and both live there (or near) now, so that adds another layer to the appeal of moving back!

Sometimes I'll say to my friends, "I just want to move to a cozy farm house, start a lavender farm and blog about it". Don't be surprised if it happens someday! I'd love to host occasional events out of an old rustic barn with vegetables fresh from the farm and live right up the road in a farmhouse full of character. One can dream right?!

Some visions I have for my "someday" country life:

The nearest Starbucks would be 45 minutes away, so I would need an in-home coffee bar and a mug display.




The restaurant selection leaves a lot to be desire so I'd host dinner parties like this.


Or this.


I'd have a garden set up like this.


And I'd want a welcoming front porch like this.


Are you a city mouse or a country mouse? What do you love most about where you dwell? (My friend Christine would giggle at this!)

6 comments

  1. Love this! I can't wait to come to your dinner parties someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you'll definitely be on the invite list!

      Delete
  2. Your hometown sounds dreamy! My mom moved to a teeny town when I was in high school and I couldn't stomach it. I am a city girl 100%. I need everything to be within twenty minutes of me or I'm like, "NO!" But then again I didn't grow up somewhere so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hometown is pretty teeny as well (200 people). Everyone has different preferences, I've been mostly living away from my hometown for the past 8 years, so I'm unsure how I would adapt if I moved back permanently. I've gotten pretty used to being close to Targets and Starbucks. :)

      Delete
  3. ohhhhh I love your photos and I can see why you would want to move back but I completely understand you don't want to move away from cafes.

    You could open your own cafe in your home town and serve great coffee and your problem would be solved.

    You could also invest in a super good coffee machine :)

    www.blogsbygabrielle,blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

© Roots Out West - Branding by Union Shore - Blog Theme by FCD