January 5 to Try

Jan 4, 2017

Each month I compile a list of various things I recommend trying for the month -- These include anything from DIYs, book recommendations, sips, recipes, trends, and new restaurants or events for St. Louis locals. Check out previous suggestions too!
So, let's get to it ---

1. Try out a new trend
Being eyeing a color combo or new trend? Why not give it a whirl! I like the look of oxblood + blush & rally want that suede moto jacket. Tempted to purchase and pair with one of my blush tops. Lauren Conrad breaks down new trends to try monthly, always a good read.


o x b l o o d


+
b l u s h

 
2. Start a book club with friends 
Two of my gal pals and I decided to start a book club for 2017. We plan to take turns selecting books and meeting once every other month (extra time to read and schedule) and when we meet we will be heading to new restaurants around town we want to try. First up-- Nixta + Scrappy Little Nobody

3. Re-style a nook in your home
My entry way has been pretty stark the entire time I've owned the casa and now that I've passed the 1-year mark, it's certainly (more than) time to get it in order. If you remember, was debating a console table vs. bench look. I prefer the look of the bench and when I came across this shiplap coat rack I knew it would be the perfect piece to complete the bench concept for my entry. I'm placing an order for the rack (via McNelly Farmhouse Love) and a bench (via Emily's dad!!) to make this look happen. Can't wait!



4.  Try a new recipe 
One of my 2017 Intentions is to make one new recipe a month. This is what I''ll be making for dinner this month -- Skinny Chicken and Rice Casserole



Serves: 6-8 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 4-5 green onions, diced
  • 1 (14-oz) pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
  • 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 2½ cups cooked brown rice (I used instant)
  • 1 (5.3-oz) fat free plain Greek yogurt
  • ¼ cup light mayonnaise
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. pepper
  • ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a skillet, heat oil. Add green onions and mushrooms. Cook until tender.
  3. Add chicken. Sprinkle with flour. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.
  4. Add brown rice. Fold in Greek yogurt, mayo and salt and pepper. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
  5. Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and it's bubbly around the edges.

5. Get out of the house & attend an event >> Schlafly's Cabin Fever
Jan 14 -- noon - 4:00 -- $30


So, there are my recommendations for the month. Any suggestions for me or things you plan to try out this month? xx!

2 comments

  1. Ohhh a book club that includes a new restaurant? Sounds fabulous!!! Love that jacket, too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

© Roots Out West - Branding by Union Shore - Blog Theme by FCD